Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 2, Meet some of our Ohana

Kids decided to get up at 5 this morning (guess their body clocks not reset yet to Hawaii time) and were filling the house with "Joy"... NOT!!!

After letting them loose in the yard after breakfast we got ourselves together and go going and we all met up at the Hanapepe Hawaiian Congregational Church.


Hurricane Iniki (Inn-ee-key) nearly wiped out this little church and after its rebuild, this is what it looks like today. See the page from the history book below.

And here it is today...





Here is my mother helping out and we are all about to sit and make our sign board with our pictures on it...

Here is our finished board... My Grandmother married a Japanese man (Paul Iwata), so my Grandmother's full name was Emily Kapunohu'ulo'okala Kaohi Iwata... Did I happen to mention that her name is a little long... Her Hawaiian Middle name is pronounced (Kah-puu-no-who-oo-low-oh-kah-lah) and of course the Family Last name Kaohi is (Kah-oh-hee)...


This is the famous "Swinging Bridge", I used to cross everyday to get to school. It is behind the church about half a block away.


Emily with her flower behind her ear... (Trivia question for you... Is she wearing it behind the correct side ear?)



Grayson with Emily and Dad's help, decided to crack open a coconut... Grayson was cleaning off the hairs before we cracked into the main shell.



Trivia question #2 - Chickens are to Hawaii as ______ are to St. Martin?




At 4 p.m. (9 p.m. est) today (7/15/2009) (16oo hrs. for you military folk) we went up to the family grave to pay homage to our Kupuna (Ancestors)




This is my Great Grandfather...



This is my Great Grandmother (Kapuna Wahine or tutu) (Kah-poo-nah or Too-Too)



This is my Aunt Janet who gave the whole family Geneology Chant (17 children long... whew!), plus she did a traditional chant called Aloha'Aina (Love of the Land)

Then back to the church for our "pot-luck" dinner... The food was awesome... some of which I had not had in almost 4 years... I will try to bring back recipes...



That's all for this installment... See you tomorrow! Lots of fun activities going on tomorrow oh... and the LUAU (Loo-ow) starts...



1 comment:

  1. ALOHA from the mainland. I'm not surprised the kids are up so early. I don't think I ever acclimated to the time change which was actually helpful when I got back to Maryland. less jetlag.

    Great pics. I'm fascinated by the history of both the island and your family.

    As to Emily and her floewr. I believe waering the flower on her left ear would mean she is "taken." And it's not usually switched to that ear until engagement or marriage. So, unless Emily got engaged or married since I saw her last week, it should be on the right ear.

    Can't wait for the next installment. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete