Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 6, Last full day on Kauai...

This is my last installment for my trip to Kauai. I had lots of fun catching up with relatives and seeing new ones. Today, I spent time driving to the North Shore of Kauai and doing a little more sightseeing...





In the distant, you can see how the trees join overhead making a tunnel of foliage. After Hurricane Iniki (Inn-ee-key) all the trees looked like sticks coming out of the ground, luckily not many trees blew over and the groves grew back strong.



On this stretch of road, the elevated road goes right through the middle of a grove about 40ft. off the ground, higher in some areas.


Some of the trees did not fair as well, and did not grow back in as full...



Beach, beach, everywhere... most of the Highway runs along the coast and is usually beautifully blue... This bridge goes over the mouth of the Wailua River, where you can take a boat tour up to "The Fern Grotto" http://www.smithskauai.com/fern_grotto.html I have taken this tour a few times in my life.



Another view along my trip where the trees are magnificent!


More Beach along my drive...


Perhaps I will call this place before I set off for my next Hawaiian Vacation!


Do you remember the Kukui Nut Quilt? Well, here is the "live" tree that it was derived from...





Here is that distinctive three point leaf...




So, to one side you usually see the ocean... everywhere else you look, you see mountains. You can see them in the distance...


Although the followers of the Blog could not be there with me, hopefully you have enjoyed this visual tour of my stay on Beautiful Kaui! Mahalo! (Thank You)




1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful. Isn't it something how nature re-emerges after devastation?
    See you on the mainland!!

    ReplyDelete