Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 5, Get Ready for the Luau

Today was relaxing as well, and I went with my sister on a few trips down memory lane. This is my elementary school. I actually remembered which classroom I was in.
















Third door from the left...










Kids relaxed a while so they could stay up and party at the luau...



























This is the trail I walked up and down everyday. It was pretty steep... more than I remebered...






What is the Grand Canyon of the islands?... That would be Waimea Canyon on Kauai. 10 miles long and about 3000 feet deep at the deepest spot.












Grayson and Emily in front of ...




The Western Most Harley-Davidson Dealership in the United States...


On to the Luau... This is one of my cousins saying a Hawaiian Blessing before we start...

This is very important... My Grandmother (Emily Kapunohuulaokala Kaohi Iwata) taught one of my cousins to quilt in the Hawaiian Tradition. My Grandmother was also a Hawaiian Healer and used the Kukui Nut in many of her healings. Before she passed, she asked that a quilt be made to signify the 17 children of the Kaohi family.
I present to you: Na Kukui o Kaohi emalama lama Ka lei o Kapunohuulaokala
(The light of Kaohi is enlightened by the Lei of Kapunohuulaokala)
The image is of the Kukui Nut leaf and the Kukui nut. Its arrangement is 11 leaves and 6 Kukui Nuts to signify the 11 boys and 6 girls of the Kahoi family.





This was about 1/6th of the total family at the party. There is a bunch more outside at tables...



And here they are... In total there were about 350 people there this evening...

Then comes the entertainment by yet another cousin who plays professionally.

And of course Emily and Rachel had to dance...


I hope you all enjoyed this blog and will try to continue tomorrow night... I get on the plane Monday night and will not be back to Maryland until Tuesday night late. That whole time difference thing... Flying from West back to East.

1 comment:

  1. How cool! It's always fun to visit childhood memories. As adults we have such a differnt perspective.

    Looks like Emily and Grayson have been having a blast! Lots of great memories for them to share.

    Any taro rolls?

    ReplyDelete